Sunday 6 January 2013

Faith Seeking Understanding

[NOTICE: This piece must be read as if Anselm himself is speaking. Why is it in this format? Because I wrote it as a monologue, which I also presented at the chapel service of Nazarene Theological College, Manchester, on 17 February 2009.]


My Monologion should actually be entitled An Example of Meditation on the Meaning of Faith, because it is an analytic meditation on the content of faith without reference to the Scriptures. I wrote this in response to my brethren’s request to write down, “as a kind of model meditation,”[1] some of the things I have said about the divine essence. Its method is strictly philosophical: “nothing whatsoever to be argued on the basis of the authority of Scripture, but the constraints of reason concisely to prove, and the clarity of truth clearly to show, in the plain style, with everyday arguments, and down-to-earth dialectic, the conclusions of distinct investigations.”[2] Like in Augustine’s time, my brethren had difficulties in understanding the contents of their faith, and so they were ready to either abandon their faith or abandon their pursuit of the knowledge of God, and so it necessitated me to write something as an example of employing the godly gift of reason to probe deeper into the faith. My basic proposition is that faith is assent to the Truth, which can also be proven and made understandable by the help of the intellect. An example of this endeavour is my ontological argument for the existence of God.

My other book, Proslogion, should also be titled as Faith in Quest of Understanding. In it, rather than propositions of the faith giving the content for a philosophical meditation, the appalling awareness of my own lack of faith drove me to my quest for understanding. Here, though, we must distinguish between the act of faith and the content of faith. I had faith, but I was not able to fully grasp the contents of my faith. And so I wrote:

Come then, Lord my God, teach me where and how to seek You, where and how to find You. Lord, if You are not present here, where, since You are absent, shall I look for You? On the other hand, if You are everywhere why then, since You are present, do I not see You? But surely You dwell in ‘light inaccessible’ [1 Tim. 6: 16]….Never have I seen You, Lord my God, I do not know Your face.[3]

On the other hand, far from divinizing the intellect, we should acknowledge that we cannot, by natural reason alone, comprehend God. This is why, as I stressed in the Proslogion, the proper context for the pursuit of wisdom is prayer and confession. Reason, though helpful, should not be considered as an independent autonomous source of godly wisdom. To believe this otherwise is impiety. Without humility before the truth, and recognition of the priority of faith, there can be no progress in wisdom and understanding. As I wrote in the Proslogion,

I  acknowledge, Lord, and I give thanks that You have created Your image in me, so that I may remember You, think of You, love You. But this image is so effaced and worn away by vice, so darkened by the smoke of sin, that it cannot do what it was made to do unless You renew it and reform it. I do not try, Lord, to attain Your lofty heights, because my understanding is in no way equal to it. But I do desire to understand Your truth a little, that truth that my heart believes and loves. For I do not seek to understand so that I may believe; but I believe so that I may understand. For I believe this also, that ‘unless I believe, I shall not understand’ [Isa. 7: 9].[4]

I would like to comment upon my famous dictum fides quarens intellectum, or in your language today, “faith seeking understanding.” Faith, for me, is more than a volitional assent to propositional truths. Faith is actually more like an epistemic state: it is love for God and a drive to act as God wills. So, when I said “faith seeking understanding,” I meant to say “an active love of God seeking a deeper knowledge of God.” What I am saying is that with the help of reason, one who already loves God will learn even more to desire the knowledge of God.

God of truth I ask that I may receive so that my ‘joy may be complete.’ Until then let 
my mind meditate on it, let my tongue speak of it, let my heart love it, let my mouth 
preach it. Let my soul hunger for it, let my flesh thirst for it, my whole being desire it, 
until I enter into the ‘joy of the Lord’ [Matt. 25:21], who is God, Three in One, ‘blessed 
forever, amen’ [Rom. 1: 25].[5]

Perhaps it is best to conclude this talk with a prayer that I wrote:

            My God,
            I pray that I may know you and love you
                        that I may rejoice in you.
            And if I may not do so fully in this life
                        let me go steadily on the day when I come to that fullness
            Let me receive
                        that which you promised through your truth
                        that my joy may be full.


[1] Anselm, Monologion, trans. Simon Harrison in The Major Works, ed. Brian Davies and G. R. Evans (Oxford: Oxford U. Press, 1998), 5.
[2] Anselm, Monologion, 5.
[3] Anselm, Proslogion, trans. M. J. Charlesworth in The Major Works, 84-85.
[4] Anselm, Proslogion, 87.
[5] Anselm, Proslogion, 104.

No comments:

Easter: Peace and Forgiveness

Christ is risen! We are celebrating this. So in our gatherings there is a lot of great music, there is a celebratory spirit, there is a lo...